Tuesday 28 October 2014

My Pretty Little Radio

My sister does a segment called Thrift Blitz over at SelfBinding Retrospect.  Since I am a fan or hers, and of being thrifty, I decided I should do something to add to her link-up party!  I participated last time (yes, I'm that sister, that is my awesome trunk, and that little guilt trip about not having a blog may be the reason this all started).

I was trying to decide what I should share, and knew it couldn't be clothes (I don't do selfies.  They would not be cute).  I was wandering through my house, and realized the only pieces of furniture we have that were purchased new are our bedroom suite (my husband worked for a furniture manufacturer before we got married, and got a good deal because the tint wasn't perfect), and our wooden rocking chair (which was a wedding gift from my wonderful great aunt).

We didn't plan to furnish our house this way, it kind of just happened.  But now that we've done it, I love it.  I love that most of our stuff you can't easily find in a furniture store.  And I love that I have more freedom to paint or refinish or completely tear apart pieces we got used, than I would if we had invested a lot of money in them.  We've managed to gradually acquire some antique pieces (both of our grandparents downsized, so were giving away furniture), and I adore the warmth and character they give to a room.

This time around, I decided to share with you my awesome Kijiji find from last winter!  (Sorry for the quality of the pictures.  Apparently the quality of iPhone photos goes downhill after you drop and crack it).  This beauty was listed for $75, and still had all the components in it.  Now that is more than I would normally pay for a radio, but my plan is not to have a radio (although it looks pretty in my living room for now, and with some tweaking would probably work).  The plan is to find a gorgeous vessel sink and faucet, and make this into the prettiest little vanity for our powder room.  (I had the idea when I saw it listed, so knew the dimensions would work before going to see it.)  And the miraculous part of this whole story, was the husband agreed to the plan!  No argument, no haggling over price, he even went with me to pick it up. 

If you have a thrifting find, go share it at SelfBinding Retrospect, so we can all enjoy your awesome bargain!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Why don't I remember this piece? Can't wait to see it as a sink - it'll be GORGEOUS!!! And thanks for playing at my lonely thrift blitz party :)

    p.s. you need a new phone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This has been sitting in my kitchen, under the window since I got it. I just moved it to the living room, and love it so much more in there. I think the orange curtains make it look extra pretty.
    And I'm too cheap to get a new phone, so I should probably just find my real camera and start using it.

    ReplyDelete